Aermotor Windmill Company - 1888

1888

The Aermotor was introduced. Only 24 were sold the first year. The new “mathematical” windmill, as it was derisively called by the competitors, embodied all the principles learned from previous experiments. It also had back gearing which allowed the wheel to make about 3 revolutions for each stroke, resulting in much greater lifting power.

Aermotor Windmill Company - 1890

1890

Aermotor’s first factory, built in the fall of 1890 occupied only the large building on the right. Aermotor expanded so rapidly the building on the left was added. In 1892, the one story building in the foreground was built and covered one acre.

1892

Aermotor sold 20,000 windmills and the “mathematical” windmill’s image had changed from a joke to a true necessity. Aermotor guaranteed its 8 foot steel mill to do more work than any 10 foot wooden mill. It actually would do more than some 12 foot mills. Aermotor was on its way to becoming the world’s dominant windmill.

1904

Aermotor catalogs listed a wide range of accessories, such as hand pumps, wood and metal tanks, equipment for power mills, such as feed cutters, power saws, corn shellers and numerous specialty items. With their revolutionary mass production methods, Aermotor was able to reduce the price of windmills to about 1/6th of the previous price, 8ft. windmills then sold for about $25 and 20ft. mills for about $300.

1915

Aermotor introduced its auto-oiled windmill with an enclosed gear case, in which all the working parts were continuously bathed in a light lubricating oil. This design reduced maintenance to only once a year rather than previous weekly attention.

1918

Aermotor’s founder, La Verne Noyes, donated nearly two and one half million dollars to establish scholarships at many colleges and universities for veterans of the World War. These scholarships are still available today. The largest benefactors were University of Chicago and Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, La Verne’s alma mater.

1919

La Verne Noyles dies. Having no direct heirs, he left the Aermotor Company to a tax paying trust, with 48 colleges and universities as beneficiaries.

1926

“Bilby” towers, named for their designer, Jasper Bilby, were introduced. The inner tower provided an undisturbed instrument platform. This tower was destined to become widely used by the Army Engineer Corps as well as the Coastal and Geodetic Survey for much of the re-mapping of this country. Aermotor also built the first electric transmission towers and were designing and building most of the nation’s forest observation towers. Other products during this period were gasoline engines and electric generators.

1933

Aermotor 702 was introduced, featuring replaceable bearings and screw-type wheel arms. Aermotor dealers and families, attending the “Century of Progress” World’s Fair, were allowed to camp in the Aermotor factory yard and eat in the company restaurant.

1941-1946

Aermotor became a subcontractor for Bell and Howell, and built precision lens mounts for the highly secret Norden Bombsight.

1949

Aermotor’s chief engineer, Daniel Scholes, who had designed Aermotor’s deep well electric pump became president.

1958

Aermotor Company was sold to Motor Products a corporation of Detroit, Michigan, a former supplier of parts to the automotive industry.

1960

After purchasing the Bertram Yacht Company, Motor Products Corporation changed its name to Nautec.

1964

Aermotor’s manufacturing operation was moved to Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

1965

Aermotor named Wendell C. Dean, who was sales manager during Aermotor’s transitions and growth in the electric pump market, as vice-president and general manager.

1969

Aermotor Windmill manufacturing moved to Argentina. Fabricating was performed by Fabrica de Implementos, Agricuolas, S.A., a licensee

1974

Aermotor manufacturing named James E. Fetter, former export and marketing manager, as Vice President and General Manager. Aermotor’s headquarters moves to Conway, Arkansas.

1976

Aermotor was purchased by Valley Steel Product Co.

1979

The Brentwood, Missouri operation of Valley Pump moved to Conway, Arkansas to the Aermotor plant and the Valley Pump headquarters was established at this location. Daniel F. Benson was named division president.

1980

Valley Steel and Aermotor canceled their licensing agreement with Argentina and returned the manufacturing of windmills to the U.S.

1981

Aermotor’s manufacturing facilities were dedicated in Arkansas.In that same year 80% of all windmills were built at Conway, Arkansas.

1984

Valley Pump Group was purchased by the Mueller Co. of Decatur, Illinois.

1986

Aermotor was purchased by an investor group and moved to San Angelo, Texas. The name was changed to Aermotor Windmill Corporation.

1998

Aermotor was purchased by Kees Verheul. Aermotor has added new machinery and the entire manufacturing facility and warehouse now total 40,000 square feet.

1999

Y2K compliant since 1888. Aermotor celebrates its second turn of the century.

2006 to Present

Aermotor was purchased by a private group of West Texas Ranchers. The name was restored to the original name that was established in 1888…The Aermotor Company.

Aermotor Windmill has a very interesting 118 year business history. However, one simple truth stands undiminished by time or geography. Aermotor Windmill has continuously manufactured windmills since 1888 and is the only windmill manufacturer in the USA.

There is only one genuine Aermotor windmill. We take great pride in that simple fact, and we welcome the opportunity to have you as a customer.

1888
The Aermotor was introduced. Only 24 were sold the first year. The new “mathematical” windmill, as it was derisively called by the competitors, embodied all the principles learned from previous experiments. It also had back gearing which allowed the wheel to make about 3 revolutions for each stroke, resulting in much greater lifting power.

1890
Aermotor Windmill CompanyAermotor’s first factory, built in the fall of 1890 occupied only the large building on the right. Aermotor expanded so rapidly the building on the left was added. In 1892, the one story building in the foreground was built and covered one acre.

1892
Aermotor sold 20,000 windmills and the “mathematical” windmill’s image had changed from a joke to a true necessity. Aermotor guaranteed its 8 foot steel mill to do more work than any 10 foot wooden mill. It actually would do more than some 12 foot mills. Aermotor was on its way to becoming the world’s dominant windmill.

1904
Aermotor catalogs listed a wide range of accessories, such as hand pumps, wood and metal tanks, equipment for power mills, such as feed cutters, power saws, corn shellers and numerous specialty items. With their revolutionary mass production methods, Aermotor was able to reduce the price of windmills to about 1/6th of the previous price, 8ft. windmills then sold for about $25 and 20ft. mills for about $300.

1915
Aermotor introduced its auto-oiled windmill with an enclosed gear case, in which all the working parts were continuously bathed in a light lubricating oil. This design reduced maintenance to only once a year rather than previous weekly attention.

1918
Aermotor’s founder, La Verne Noyes, donated nearly two and one half million dollars to establish scholarships at many colleges and universities for veterans of the World War. These scholarships are still available today. The largest benefactors were University of Chicago and Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, La Verne’s alma mater.

1919
La Verne Noyles dies.Having no direct heirs, he left the Aermotor Company to a tax paying trust, with 48 colleges and universities as beneficiaries.

1926
“Bilby” towers, named for their designer, Jasper Bilby, were introduced. The inner tower provided an undisturbed instrument platform. This tower was destined to become widely used by the Army Engineer Corps as well as the Coastal and Geodetic Survey for much of the re-mapping of this country. Aermotor also built the first electric transmission towers and were designing and building most of the nation’s forest observation towers. Other products during this period were gasoline engines and electric generators.

1933
Aermotor 702 was introduced, featuring replaceable bearings and screw-type wheel arms. Aermotor dealers and families, attending the “Century of Progress” World’s Fair, were allowed to camp in the Aermotor factory yard and eat in the company restaurant.

1941-1946
Aermotor became a subcontractor for Bell and Howell, and built precision lens mounts for the highly secret Norden Bombsight.

1949
Aermotor’s chief engineer, Daniel Scholes, who had designed Aermotor’s deep well electric pump became president.

1958
Aermotor Company was sold to Motor Products a corporation of Detroit, Michigan, a former supplier of parts to the automotive industry.

1960
After purchasing the Bertram Yacht Company, Motor Products Corporation changed its name to Nautec.

1964
Aermotor’s manufacturing operation was moved to Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

1965
Aermotor named Wendell C. Dean, who was sales manager during Aermotor’s transitions and growth in the electric pump market, as vice-president and general manager.

1969
Aermotor Windmill manufacturing moved to Argentina. Fabricating was performed by Fabrica de Implementos, Agricuolas, S.A., a licensee.

1974
Aermotor manufacturing named James E. Fetter, former export and marketing manager, as Vice President and General Manager. Aermotor’s headquarters moves to Conway, Arkansas.

1976
Aermotor was purchased by Valley Steel Product Co.

1979
The Brentwood, Missouri operation of Valley Pump moved to Conway, Arkansas to the Aermotor plant and the Valley Pump headquarters was established at this location. Daniel F. Benson was named division president.

1980
Valley Steel and Aermotor canceled their licensing agreement with Argentina and returned the manufacturing of windmills to the U.S.

1981
Aermotor’s manufacturing facilities were dedicated in Arkansas.In that same year 80% of all windmills were built at Conway, Arkansas.

1984
Valley Pump Group was purchased by the Mueller Co. of Decatur, Illinois.

1986
Aermotor was purchased by an investor group and moved to San Angelo, Texas. The name was changed to Aermotor Windmill Corporation.

1998
Aermotor was purchased by Kees Verheul. Aermotor has added new machinery and the entire manufacturing facility and warehouse now total 40,000 square feet.

1999
Y2K compliant since 1888. Aermotor celebrates its second turn of the century.

2006
Aermotor was purchased by a private group of West Texas Ranchers. The name was restored to the original name that was established in 1888…The Aermotor Company.